Our Dog Jake

Our Dog Jake
Jake's a happy dog

Monday, December 22, 2008

Akin Adventure 2008 in Brief

We have had quite a year. Raven and Luke are doing very well in school, Karate & Scouting.
We ran in our 1st 5K at the Spirit of Survival in the Wichita's this year. JB, Ben & Felica did the 5K up Mt Scott too. It was a great experience and set our family on the road of running together.
JB is still with Sandridge and very happy there. They moved into the old Kerr McGee Building this year. He has a good view of Downtown from his window. JB and Ben have had a number of rock climbing and hiking adventures this year. Some are pictured throughout the blog. One was JB's solo trip to summit Wheeler Peak - which he did & I'm really proud of him for that achievement!
Raven and Luke are recommended Black Belts as we end 2008. They will test for their 1st degree Black Belt in March 2009. We have been working on this goal for 2 years and are happy finally to be this close.
Raven is a 5th year Girl Scout this year. This is her last year as a Brownie and will bridge to Junior Girl Scouts in May 2009. I am one of Raven's Brownie Leaders again this year. Although we do have a new troop, (Troop #840 - Best 'lil Brownies Blog has all of our latest news) we have a great group of 12 girls and are working on leadership and service as our main goals for this school year.
Luke is a Wolf Cub Scout this year, and LOVES it! He was such a good sport for all the years of going to Girl Scout meetings with Raven and me. He is an avid reader of the Magic Tree House series. He has one more to read to complete the series this year. He loves playing the WII, especially his Lego games (star wars, batman & Indiana Jones).
I love being at home taking care of my family! We had a great garden this year. I am learning more each year about better ways of taking care of our large garden. (I learned even more this year by reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - check it out and believe me that the irony of me listening to it on my iPod while shopping through WalMart was not lost on me!)
I have started substituting at the kids' school this year and really like it. I had my ACL repaired in May - my knee is doing really well, although the injury did put me behind the kids in training for my Black Belt :)
I love to be in my kitchen - experimenting, creating and nourishing my family. I have started putting some of my newest recipes on the blog. Now that we have 200 lbs of buffalo meat - New creations of Mexican Meatloaves and Southwestern Buffalo Balls roll out of the kitchen weekly.
As far as trips go, we went back to Hawaii in March. It was a wonderful trip. It was nice because we knew what we wanted to see again and didn't need to bother with again. The lava flow was different this year - check out the blog section of this year's Hawaii trip for some great pics and day-by-day recount.
For 2009, we plan to spend even more time together as a family, hiking, biking, climbing, kicking (karate) and looking for new adventures. We wish you all the best in the New Year.
Many Blessings and Merry Christmas -

Love,
The Akins

JB, Amy, Raven , Luke & Jake the Dog

1 comment:

Unknown said...

well what in the world?! I didn't know you guys were on blogger... fantastic! I really enjoy the blogosphere. good stuff. hope you guys have a great christmas!

Coco's demise

Coco's demise
Luke's coconut cut open and not liked!

Green Sand Beach

Green Sand Beach
yes the sand is really green!

Easter 2007

Easter 2007
Akin & Puryear kids

Red River 2006

Red River 2006
New Mexico w/ the Hager/Puryear/Lee Family

New Mexico 2006

New Mexico 2006
Raven, Luke, Noel & Trey 1 year ago

JB & Kids in Bishop Castle

Field of Flowers

Field of Flowers
Elk Mountain's colorful wildflowers in early June